Sunday, November 1, 2009

Xiaosong Scouting out the Scouts in Golden Valley


It was fun for me to introduce Steven, Xiaosong to the Boy Scout Tradition. I experienced being a Boy Scout in Faribault under the leadership of Bob Nichols a neighborhood WW II Vet who modeled some of the values in a Camporee I attended by Cedar Lake in Rice County as a kid. Later, when my youngest son, Jesse had friends in the Bethany Luthern Troop in Waite Park-St Cloud, I trained to be an Assistant Scout Master, which I very much enjoyed and was able to serve as an educator for merit badges at Camp Many Point for three years while Jesse stayed in scouts and could wear the uniform, until my God given two spirited nature was brought to light. The values such as Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind,Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent, still stick with me. Sadly, many of my friends and associates are denied membership, unless they practice "don't ask don't tell" if they are atheist and/or homosexual human beings. I am happy to see the fun connection here with Steven and David and Ron that seems to transcend any control issues of the LDS or other monetary influencers of the Scouts in the US of A. Will be interesting to see what may happen if Obama and the Congress have the courage to stop the bigotry of "Don't ask Don't Tell" as a program of enabled lying :-) Mitakuye Oyasin "we are all related'
Here is what Wiki outlines about the issues Check it out! Equality for all boys?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies

No comments:

Post a Comment