Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hollow Horn Bear Sundance Grounds by Xiaosong


When I first ventured out to the St Francis area to support the sun dance here in 1990, I was mentored by a traditional teacher who lived on this land, by the name of Joe Eagle Elk. Since then, one of my teachers,  who has come to Minnesota off and on,  still jokes with me "there are no trees here to spoil the view!" The joy and laughter are one of the things that keeps me coming back to visit my friends here. After honoring the tree and the give away of the Chan Oyate (Tree Nation) at the sundance grounds for a monthly tree sweat, Steven Xiaosong Liu, took this photo of our traveling companions Coby and Blaine with a back drop of the mahkpiya oyate, the cloud nation. Ask about the story of the first son,Eya, of Tate the wind and how the cloud nation, Mahkpia Oyate can be teachers about our addictions-compulsions and block out our connection with the light of the sun and create a shadow. So wonderful to share this journey and this place with my Zhongguo pengyou, Xiaosong.  Revisiting this page in 2013 to edit, I am so grateful for Steve X Liu's openness to visit and his  curiosity and openness and willingness to learn back in November of 2009.  And that he could visit the home of Lekshi Albert White Hat, 1938-2013, who modeled the humility of a traditional elder and teacher. Pilamiya Lekshi Albert. Xie xie ni pengyou Xiasong. 
  Check that out with your spiritual mentor to learn in a good way. Aho. Mitakuye Oyasin.

No comments:

Post a Comment