Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coon Valley Wisconsin Farm and Town - Slow Drive Home Memorial Day May 25


I left Arlington Heights, IL, Sunday evening after my trip to the Morton Arboretum and drove into WIsconsin and stayed at a family Motel, Crossroads, just out of Elkhorn. Liking the "blue hiways", the small roads, I drove on US 12 then US 14 to LaCrosse and Winona, stopping for coffee and quiche in the Madison area at a WIFI place for lunch. I flashed back to trips taken on these roads before the Freeway-Interstate Era. This photo is from a small town outside of LaCrosse, in the unglaciated part of Wisconsin, with a farm in the hill country. I remember driving these roads with my Glessner Grandparents on the way to Chicago in the 50's and returning from New Haven CT, with my brother Jim, an an old '53 Chevy painted olive, the color of the phone company cars back then, when I drove with him the summer of 1962, just after I got my drivers license. We drove the NY Throughway and the PA Turnpike and the 4 lane ended somewhere in S Wisconsin then and we drove this same area. Relaxing and healing green biways as a alternative to the fast lane! Wichozani.

No comments:

Post a Comment