Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lost in the Woods - The Legacy of CCC Camp Pelican - A Visit with Jim Henderson at PelMar


Reflecting on my fun visit with Jim Henderson yesterday, the author of Lost in the Woods, published in 2008 at his summer home on Sunset Beach, Pelican Lake. THe cover photo is from the CCC Camp located on the back land now under the stewardship of Jim and Melanie Weaver and their family. In 1968, the year after the three Weaver Brothers, Jim, Jack and Tom purchased the Palmer property, I talked with Steve Steffenson who had worked at the camp, and got some photos from him. A few years back I left a map I created and some photos with the DNR Library in Brainerd. Jim H, having discovered them in his long journey of research )he visited the National Archives in DC) contacted me a while ago, and we walked the land together and I lend him my file of history. Wonderful to see the fruits of my limited research, back in the day, captured in Jim's great book, even the map I created. THanks Jim for your great hospitality and generosity. May you recoup your publishing costs and share in the abundance of life in the woods and lake region of Minnesota. I suggest an interested reader might purchase this book, at about $20 from Jim, PelMar Publishing, Milwaukee. By the way PelMar is for Pelican Markee...the two lakes those of us raised on Sunset Beach, Pelican Lake, Crow Wing Co MN, might well remember in our formative lakes traditional lives...Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment