Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Reflections on Cill Chainnigh, Kilkenny the Church of St Canace - The Butler Family Driving to W Country Cork


  
Awoke from the Celtic B and B deep sleep and an conversation with John and Angela Byrne, the proprietors, and was encouraged to climb to the top of the round tower for a 100 ft view of the city of Kilkenny,   I have learned the prefix of Kil is translated from the Gaelic Cill - and Cill Chainnigh, Kilkenny the Church of St Canace that dominates the culture of early Christianity here, in a town now of some 24,000, where my Butler Norman -Anglo ancestors arrived from France...back in the day.

 
I read this and paid my 3 euros to climb the tower, "at my own risk"

 
Happy I never got addicted to nicotine and yes I am competent at the young age of 68 to climb up the stairs to the top!

 
Thickness of the walls, at the entry point up the tower.

 
A view of the steep stair ways, looking down from about 1/2 up the tower.

 
View from the tower looking south toward the Kilkenny Castle of the Ormond - Butler Clan.  A church rang bells through the night near the B and B with a full moon :-)

 
View to the church yard below, with my rental car seen down through the gate.


Top of the cathedral with the rural area to the west and north from the tower.

 
I was the first climber of the morning and arrived around 9 AM.  I German man took this photo of me with Kilkinny City in the background.

Another site I learned about the Butlers of Kilkenny Tipperary, contemporaries of the Fitzgeralds connected to the Kennedy Clan of JFK, is a Elizabethan Castle in Carrick- on Suir. 
I drove through the countryside of South Ireland to small town of Carrick-on-Suir, and voila" discovered the castle is being refurbished by the OPW - Enjoyed chatting with this guy who was very jolly!

The OPW working on the castle.



 Cashel from a path - When I found a free parking place near field.

 
Round tower at Cashel.  















No comments:

Post a Comment