Sunday, July 22, 2012

Harvest of Summer Bounty - Plant Nation - Pejuta Oyate

Over the years at the Family Cabins near Pelican Lake,  I would harvest choke cherries, pin cherries and other fruits from the land.  One of my fun memories is making jelly with Winnie Leonard, our neighbor next to the cabins my brothers and I purchased in 1967.  She showed me how she hung a jelly bag after cooking the berries into juice and then adding pectin, which is a natural way to making the sauce jell.    Apples have natural pectin, so when I harvested the choke cherries this past week at my friend Rob's place 5 miles North of me here, one of the other trees nearby was an apple tree.  The tree did a give away of these small apples that I will include in my first recipe to make jelly later today



Apples have natural pectin, so when I harvested the choke cherries this past week at my friend Rob's place 5 miles North of me here, one of the other trees nearby was an apple tree.  The tree did a give away of these small apples that I will include in my first recipe to make jelly later today - look for an update......:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment