Monday, July 2, 2012

Celebrating Life with Music - Connection to Ohio and Tennessee ancestors


Here is the Pacific Ocean from the Sunshine Coast of Australia that I experienced early in my walk about for 2 months in Australia and Asia in August through October in 2011.
Taking an Easy Does New Years Day, Aware of my ancestors and the strength of Mother Earth, Ina Maka. Aware of the water and the wind of the islands and lands I visited this past year. The rain in the rainforest of New South Wales where I participated in an initiation ceremony supervised by Aboriginal Elders. Listening to Prairie Home Companion as well, Garrison is my elder whom I met in 1976 when I performed on my first show at the St Paul Science Museum Auditorium . For the new year, there in indigenous music in the Hawai'i by the Pahinui singer. Here is a link to listen to. Gabby Pahinui in 1975.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYDxvusWao&feature=related
 I sang with another man on the red road this past Friday and recorded songs that came to us, for me the pejuta oyate and chan oyate songs that honor my connections with the plant and tree nations, who model staying grounded with deep roots.

Thinking of my ancestors Emma Helena Paul Eicher and Henry Eicher, who with their three children, Emma Esther, Charles and Edna Helena Eicher likely used the cherry highboy my friend Mark Mueller-Dahl and I honored by refreshing its wood.
Here are photos of Emma Esther and Charles when they were young

Emma Esther is the older born in 1875, Charles in 1883.

Here are Edna the youngest, 1885 with her older brother Charles. Edna is my grandmother, who married Noah Elwood Weaver in 1909.  Charles married and had a family and Esther Eicher remained single and took care of her father, Henry after Lane, his wife died in 1913 when having surgery for a goiter in Dayton Ohio. Esther maintained communication with her cousins, through Franz Eicher, her grandfather's wife Eva Margaret's sister,  Barbara Bohlender Lender who moved to Tennessee. Here is a letter from Lydia Oberheu Pfau, the granddaughter of Barbara B Lender to the granddaughter, Esther Eicher of E Margaret Eicher sent from Lydia in Rugby TN in 1947 - My great aunt Esther lived with

Henry Eicher, her father on Bellbrook Road, east of West Carrollton at that time.

Lydia is one of the three Oberheu daughters, the others are Jennie who married James Lourie, father of Helen Lourie of Rugby and Nellie who married Charles Brooks.


No comments:

Post a Comment