Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Learning Hanyu, Chinese for basic Conversation in Chinese


THis is the cover of a 20 page project I did for my social studies class at Faribault Jr High School in 1960. Back in those days I was limited by the resources found at our local libraries, Buckham Memorial and schools. No interlibrary loan or internet. Then, we had limited information on the Peoples Republic of China with the flag in the upper left and had more information about Chiang, Kai-Shek and the Nationalist Chinese on the island of Taiwan.

This is the page of numbers I copied from a reference "You Can Write Chinese" by Kurt Wiese, Viking Press 1945, the only reference I found in 1960 in the small town of Faribault. I had no one to teach me the tones and sounds of the language then, at age 13 !

Here are a few characters I copied for my project. Interesting T'ien, now in pinyan is Tian, for Heaven, Day, Sky and that is the given or first name of one of my teachers, Laoshi Tian XIa.

Here I am at the SE Minneapolis Library near the University of Minnesota, where Ye Yu, my second teacher working through Sleepy Tigers is sharing a lesson while my primary teacher, Tian Xia was back in China visiting home in Jiansu.
Here is where I found out about the tutoring services. http://www.sleepytigers.com/
Xie xie ni to Tian and Ye for their kind and fun teaching styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment