Sunday, April 3, 2011

Enjoying Minnesota - The Out of Doors


Spring is in the air, and I am contemplating this land of water and prairie. While scanning some old photos of my grandfather, Noah Elwood Weaver who drove the 600 miles from West Carrollton Ohio in the 40's through early 60's, I noticed we kept up the photo tradition in St Cloud as well. While training for some runs, when Nate, on the bike and Jesse, carried by me, were young, I enjoyed the campus of St Cloud State University situated on the Mississippi River some 80 miles upstream from the Twin Cities where I now reside.

While scanning photos by my grandfather Noah Elwood Weaver, I am struck by his dedication to capturing his connection to his three grandsons. He drove 600 miles to visit his only child, Paul H Weaver and his growing family in the 40's and 50's. Here are a Faribault neighbor, Michael Relyea, son of Ken and Ruth Relyea who lived on SW Third Street just to the west of our family home, with the inner tube floating on Pelican Lake in front of the Weaver-Kiekenapp-Relyea-Bowes Cabins. The Weaver boys,
Jim, Jack and Tom are to Michael's left.

No comments:

Post a Comment