Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Minnesota to Yanqing China and Valley of the Flowers north of Beijing - Sept 2011

On a Saturday in August 2011, these are some of my friends who joined me for lunch at Khan's Mongolian near the Bloomington Airport to send me off on my 2 month journey to Australia and Asia. Ken Lessley and Cheryl, Andy's wife at the time, also attended.  Left to right, Jamie W, Tom W, Jeff H, Denny S, Don R, Jane N, Eric M and Andy M.   Thanks for such a great send off. 

By mid September I made it to Beijing on the fast train from Nanjing.  I stayed in SE Beijing with my friend Greg who was working as an editor for the Peoples Medical Publishing House in the Chaoyang District.  This is the Taxi that picked me up in the early morning and waiting for the Liu's who I met with Leo, my Carleton College Classmate, at a dinner in NE Beijing the night before. This is a housing area in NW Beijing. 

Driving north by Badaling through the Great Wall area, just north of Beijing, with more blue sky!

Entering the area of Yanqing in the valley north of the Great Wall.  I am still struck by the blue sky and lack of air pollution! 

Here are Legend and Jianqian Liu with the taxi driver as we arrive at our hotel in Yanqing. 

After a nice breakfast we took a small bus out to the site of the Polo Matches where 4 nations were represented.   Here is Oliver, a photographer working out of Dubai, who was kind enough to forward a photo of Leo and me,(See Below) yesterday, Jan 14, 2012, just in time to send it to the Carleton Voice, the Alumni Magazine of the College in Northfield MN that both Leo and I attended back in the late 1960's! 
Oliver Duran, provided this photo as a theme to British Polo Day.  Oliver works out of Dubai

The Four Nations Flags - Argentina, United Kingdom, China and New Zealand, with Leo. 

Entry of horses onto polo grounds.
                                             Entry of the horses with the 4 flags as captured by Tom W.


Two Carleton College Classmates Meeting in Northern China 1969 - 2011, Leo Lum and Tom Weaver.  I have submitted this photo to the Carleton Voice, in hopes they will include us in the Summer 2013 edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment