Saturday, January 14, 2017

Gaming Cards - Parker Bros - 1919 - 1923 Rook And Pit - Weaver Family Archives

 Sorting, my space to find a few family heirlooms that could bring more JOY into my life and space- and here are some card games from the Weaver house in West Carrollton and a drawing likely made by my dad, Paul Henry Weaver in his youth that was in one of the red boxes-  I always liked words, and here in Latin (I can hear his voice and enthusiam) Quattor-Ocelli "four eyes" likely as a young man with glasses ----Dated the two Parker Bros Card Games - PIT 1919, ROOK 1923
Self portrait, Paul Henry Weaver - High School??
Paper Money series of 1919 in use when Paul Henry would have been playing these games in his youth - Note the carriages and swans in front of the US Capitol Building back then -


Insert from the box I discovered while clearing my nest -  From Wiki 

Pit is a fast-paced card game for three to seven players, designed to simulate open outcry bidding for commodities. The game was developed for Parker Brothers and first sold in 1904. It is currently being produced by Winning Moves. This popular version of the game was developed by Edgar Cayce,[1] who would also become famous for his psychic predictions.[2]
The inspirations were the Chicago Board of Trade (known as 'The Pit') and the US Corn Exchange and it was likely based on the very successful game Gavitt's Stock Exchange, invented in 1903 by Harry E. Gavitt of Topeka, Kansas
 
Cover for the Parker Bros Game purchased for 75 cents from Elder's, which I learned was a down town Dayton Department store back in those days comment from a Dayton resident "Here is the story of Elder's as I know it. My Mom and I would go shopping downtown going to Elder's when it was just Elder's. Big department store like Rike's. Arthur Beerman worked there as a young boy running an elevator. The boss, I am not sure who the boss of Elder's was at the time, fired Mr. Beerman. He told the boss, "I will own this store someday." He was laughed at. A few years later Mr. Beerman somehow bought Elder's either shrewdly or with a lot of backing. He came in and fired the boss. I am not sure of this story, but that is what I learned years ago. Good story if isn't true. I went to high school with Barbara Beerman. " 

The seven grain commodities of the game with an image of a ship and train and grain elevator
 Bull and Bear Cards  - Have a full desk of 9 each of the grains and these two - Ready to set up the card table!
 Insert from the game the Weaver's likely purchased in down town Dayton, there is an Elder's sticker on the box - Sad my dad never brought these out, in my day we played another capitalist game, Monopoly to learn about money and buying "Stuff"


Cover for the other Parker Bros Game this one dated 1923 - Odd my dad never took these out of the book case to share when I was young - The Tennessee Rook game caught my eye, as my dad's cousins, Helen Lourie, and Earnest Brooks of the Oberheu, Lender Line, moved south to the Cumberland Mt area of Tennessee around Rugby, from the Cincinnati area- and I inherited his papers and curiosity about nature and family-
 

 Again, my dad never shared this with me during his life time- And he did tell me the story that his mom, encouraged him NOT to go to a Conservative Lutheran College like Wittenburg and rather he attended Antioch, a more progressive college in Yellow Springs for 3 years, before transferring to Ohio State in Columbus where he pursued a career in science and medicine - From Wiki

Rook is a trick-taking game, usually played with a specialized deck of cards. Sometimes referred to as "Christian cards" or "missionary poker", Rook playing cards were introduced by Parker Brothers in 1906 to provide an alternative to standard playing cards for those in the Puritan tradition or Mennonite culture who considered the face cards in a regular deck inappropriate[1] because of their association with gambling and cartomancy.





No comments:

Post a Comment