Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Winter Season Choices in Minnesota 2012 -2013

Transformation and Travel have been some recent themes in my life.  I visited Manny's home in Waconia on Thanksgiving Day, prior to the winter season, and like me, he was doing some letting go of stuff!   I noticed this photo on the wall of his garage, and recognized the Stratocruiser Boeing created after WW II.   I remembered traveling on one of these that Northwest Airlines had, and as a young lad, I was able to go down the stairs into the drinking lounge, that is on the belly of this plane! Now it is up on my south wall of my nest! 
http://www.boeing.com/history/boeing/m377.html

Winter is a time of contemplation and reviewing my life and writing about my family and genealogy has become a passion of mine.  Thanks for your reading here and any comments are most welcome!
On the south wall of my nest, I have  this painting, made by my father, Paul H "Pete" Weaver during his time at Antioch College, Yellow Springs Ohio, when he was an undergraduate liberal arts student there from 1928 - 1931, when he transferred to Ohio State University in Columbus. 

While at Antioch, PH Weaver was influenced by a sculptor , Amos Mazzolini. 
And this image, one of my favorites of my fathers, was created through him, after one in the Biography of Mozart by Martha Davenport.  This is called a bas relief work of art.  My good friend Greg Larsen, musician and music teacher extraordinaire' always admired this as well. I treasure the tradition of music in my family and those I love and connect with. 

On Christmas Day, my good friend Gary Engler called me and wondered if I was going to the Day of Reconciliation, 150 Years after the Largest mass execution in American History in Mankato MN, where 38 Dakota men were hung the day after Christmas, Dec 26, 1862 by the river there. Knowing the history and the importance of living in the spirit of reconciliation, we drove down the Minnesota River Valley, Mne Sota Wakpala, Valley to Mankato on this cold winter morning.  Riders here are coming from the west, and then runners from Ft Snelling from the north to meet at the site.
This new scroll with the 38 listed was dedicated and speakers such as Jerry Dearly, Lakota, sang prayer songs, olawan, to honor the ancestors and those present this day. 

Some of the riders in the cold, were families who rode in from the west. 
The colorful gathering of those on horses meeting in the area when the runners came over the bridge across the Minnesota. 
 Between Christmas and New Years,  I visited Nate, Sue  and Jess in St Cloud.  Here is Jesse, with a new table top, on the floor he just had shipped to his place to provide a surface for 8 to play board games in his space.   Grateful I could support him in putting on some table legs and a couple of chairs during my short visit! 
After an hour or two of work, Jess is standing next to the table with some of the chairs with examples of some of the board games he enjoys.   Ah, the many ways of enjoying the Minnesota Winters with friends and family.  Thanks Jess for the fun time. 
Being aware of tunkashila,  the energy of the elders and warmth of the Unci, the grandmothers, I decided to contact Dixon Bond again, founder of the Carleton Singing Knights, to work on the archives of Dacie's home here at 110 Union Street in Northfield.   Here is the welcoming sign for those who joined in the brunch which has been a tradition for Carleton and the community since Dacie Moses opened her home to Dixon and the group in the 1950's.   I sang here, 3 times a week from 1965 - 1969 as a member of the Knights.  Fun to see the tradition continuing. 

Dacie's dining room table where students and community members still gather to eat and play cribbage. A snow storm was approaching this day and my green pony and I took to the road back to the Twin Cities.   

I called ahead to my friend Bob Pahl who lives in Bloomington and mentioned the disc golf course at Moir Park on Nine Mile Creek as a possible place to enjoy the energy of the day.  It was my first time playing on a course with the cone shaped targets, which on many courses have been replaced by flexible chains.   Here is #1 with my orange putter disc for scale! 




With the Nine Mile Creek bed in the background, Bob throws up to one of the goals on the 9 hole course, that we played twice as the sleet turned into snow. 

Here is the "Finish" , the place we stand to throw to the final 9th goal on the course. My disc bag, a gift of my friend Steve Wolfe recently for scale.  What a fun simple walking sport to stay grounded and have fun playing with friends and family throughout the year.







No comments:

Post a Comment